Newton has joined a coalition of 14 Boston-area cities and towns have pledged to work together to address the region’s severe housing shortage. The groups goals, according to this story in the Boston Business Journal, include..
- Speed up housing construction
- Create more housing, both renter- and owner-occupied, in a variety of sizes
- Locate housing near transit and in walkable areas;
- Utilize design standards that increase physical accessibility for all ages and abilities;
- Reduce evictions, eliminate unfair rental practices
- Abolish discrimination against both tenants and buyers
- Recognize that housing availability has significant impact on the region’s economic health
The Boston Globe’s story on this agreement is here.