After several years of effort from the Newton Highlands Area Council and former member Robert Solomon, there will be a second community meeting to discuss plans to update the Newton Highlands MBTA stop with ADA compliant ramps, walkways and other improvements. The official announcement can be found here.
Key changes to the station are:
- reconstructing the existing ramps from both Walnut Street and Station Avenue
- new pedestrian ramp from Hyde Street to the “Inbound Platform” side of tracks
- ramps will be covered with steel canopies
- inbound and outbound station platforms raised approximately 8-inches
- new lighting on platforms and ramps
- new covered bike rack, benches and trash receptacles.
Meeting will be held on Monday 30 April at 6:00 PM at the Women’s Club of Newton Highlands, 72 Columbus Street, Newton, MA. The meeting is open to the public.