Here’s the latest advisory from Newton City Hall related to Hurricane Sandy…
· Trash, recycling and yard waste collection will be delayed city-wide one day this week.
· The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) has provided several tips for residents to prepare themselves for the hurricane. They include information on protecting your home, what items to stockpile, and maintaining communication in the event of a power outage. The items and many other useful tips can be found at http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/mema/.
· The City of Newton website will be updated as developments occur. Please check www.newtonma.gov
for news and updates.
· Residents should bring lawn furniture and other items that could potentially be blown in the wind indoors.
· Stay away from any downed wires, and do not touch any trees that downed wires are touching.
· If there is significant water in your basement, do not touch it. Contact the Fire Department immediately.
· During regular business hours, residents can contact the City of Newton at 617-796-1000. Our combined Police/Fire Dispatch may be reached 24/7 at 617-796-2100. Emergencies should be reported to 911.
· Power outages should be reported to NStar by calling 800-592-2000.
· Residents are strongly encouraged to ensure that catch basins on their street are clear of leaves and debris.
· Residents who have not already done so should sign up for our Emergency Call list by visiting www.newtonma.gov
and clicking on the “Sign up for City Alerts” icon.