We have invited all candidates running for contested seats in the upcoming Newton election to submit a guest post to Village 14. The format and content of the post is entirely up to them.
City Council candidate Andreae Downs, who is running for one of the two Ward 5 at-large seats, has submitted the following post.
Hello Village 14 readers!
Since joining City Council last year, I have been working hard for YOU:
· Listening to you,
· researching best practices for cities and towns for use here, and
· reporting back to you in office hours and newsletters (www.andreae4newton.org)
I will continue to work toward making Newton more welcoming, beautiful and resilient because I love this city. We raised our two daughters here, and I want our city to work for everyone who lives and works here.
Local government can be a dynamic force for good. For economic and ethnic diversity, environmental protection and sustainability.
In this term, I have
· fought for the independence of the Community Preservation Committee, helped to start the Friends of Cold Spring Park, and worked closely with Friends of Hemlock Gorge.
· I worked on plans for Needham and Washington streets that allow US to shape our future rather than always being surprised by developers’ proposals.
· I helped shape zoning rules that increase the percentage of affordable housing. I support repairing our streets, fixing gas leaks, and financing a plan to reduce flooding.
· I support getting more of us on 100% clean electricity, and reducing the use of throwaway plastic.
· I also contributed to the Economic Development Plan and Climate Action plans.
It’s hard work, but I enjoy it and I ask that you return me to City Council on November 5. If you vote in Newton you can vote for me.