Good Morning Newton Residents,
Here’s my weekly update on Newton’s community and local government.
Kindly forward this on to your friends, family, and anyone you think might be interested or refer them to my website at amysangiolo.com to subscribe.
Please stay safe, be healthy, be happy, and most of all, please be kind.
With warm regards,
Amy Mah Sangiolo
Riverside Visioning Process continues….March 28th, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at Lasell College, Winslow Academic Center
The City of Newton Planning Department and consultant, Civic Moxie, will continue the visioning process for the Riverside MBTA site on Thursday, March 28th from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.at Lasell College, Winslow Academic Center -80 Maple Street Auburndale.
A summary of comments from the first meeting, site analysis, and draft guiding principles can be found here.
Yard Waste Collections begins!!
Yes – Yard Waste Collection will begin on Monday, March 25th.
- Grass Clippings
- Tree and Shrub Prunings
- Wood chips
- Small vegetables and flower plants
- Other vegetative matter
- Twigs and branches less than 4 ft. long and 6 inches in diameter (please use twine to tie bundles of twigs and branches that are less than 4 feet in length and 3 inches in diameter)
What’s NOT Acceptable?
- Plastic Bags
Yard Waste in Plastic Bags will NOT be collected.
Development Review Team Meetings – Week of March 24th – 7 acre mixed-use project just east of the Watertown/Washington Street intersection?
The Development Review Team is scheduled to meet with the following potential projects/proposals this week:
- West Newton Square – several properties east of the intersection of Watertown and Washington Streets – proposed 7 acre mixed use project
- 73 Lexington Street – proposed educational use
- 687 Watertown Street (Horace Mann Elementary School) – Site Plan Approval – 5-58 review for relocation of the Newton Early Childhood Program
See Development Review Team Snapshot here.
City Council Committee Meetings – Week of March 24th
Finance Committee: The regularly scheduled meeting of the Finance Committee has been cancelled. See Memo from Finance Committee Chair, Lenny Gentile.
Zoning and Planning Committee: The Zoning and Planning Committee will meet on Monday, March 25th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 205. The agenda includes the following:
- Appointment and Re-appointment of David Kayserman to the Auburndale Historic District Commission
- Appointment of Kathryn Cade to the Newton Conservation Commission
- Public Hearing on Technical Amendments to the Newton Zoning Ordinance (See Planning Department’s Memo)
- Discussion regarding the draft Zoning Ordinance (See Planning Department’s Memo on update re: Special Permit Data and Planning Department’s Memo)
- Discussion regarding the Washington Street Corridor Action Plan (See Planning Department’s Memo on Project Schedule Update)
Land Use Committee: The Land Use Committee will meet on Tuesday, March 26th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber. The agenda includes the following:
- Request for a Special Permit/Site Plan Approval to allow for a 3-story, 9-unit multi-family dwelling with accessory parking for 9 cars, to allow multi-family residential use on the ground floor of a BU1 District, and to allow waivers to parking requirements – (number of stalls, aisle width, etc) and lighting and landscape/screening requirements for 19-31 and 39 Herrick Road (Note: the most recent Planning Department memo I could find is the 2/22/2019 Memo)
- Request to Withdraw a request for a Special Permit/Site Plan Approval to construct an attached 2-car garage and a second floor master suite creating an FAR of .63 where .53 is allowed and .43 exists at 370 Linwood Avenue (See Withdrawal request attached to the Agenda)
- Request for a temporary license to hold Nonantum Village Day (See info attached to the Agenda)
- Request for a Special Permit/Site Plan Approval to construct an attached dwelling unit to the existing single-family structure, reduce lot area, frontage and lot coverage requirements, to reduce front and side setback requirements, and to allow a driveway along the side lot line, requiring an amendment to Variance #99442 at 10 Pillion Court (See Planning Department Memo)
- Request to amend a previously approved Special Permit/Site Plan Approval to allow adult-use sales of recreational marijuana and to waive a number of parking, interior landscaping, and screening requirements at 24-26 Elliot Street (Cypress Tree Management) – NOTE: There will be no presentation or discussion of this item. The Chair intends to continue the public hearing to April 30th)
Blue Ribbon Commission: The Blue Ribbon Commission will meet on Wednesday, March 27th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 204. The agenda includes the following:
- Session to invite Community Comments
- Update from the Data Subcommittee
The Blue Ribbon Commission’s Report from March 5th can be found here. The Commission will continue to collect info from it’s online survey which can be found here.
School Committee Meeting – Monday , March 25th – Equity Policy and Proposed FY2020 Budget on the Agenda
The School Committee will meet on Monday, March 25th at 7:07 p.m. in Room 210 at the Ed Center, 100 Walnut Street. The agenda includes the following:
City Board and Commission Meetings – Week of March 24th
Accounting and Audit Subcommittee: The Accounting and Audit Subcommittee of the Financial Audit Advisory Committee will meet on Tuesday, March 26th at 8:15 a.m. in Room 211. The agenda includes the following:
- Information Technology Security
- Oak Hill Middle School Student Activity Funds
- High School Athletic Fees and Gate Receipts
- Year End Closing Procedures
Newton Housing Partnership: The Newton Housing Partnership will meet on Tuesday, March 26th at 6:00 p.m. in Room 205. The agenda includes the following:
- Welcome from the Mayor and Acting Chair
- Review of Open Meeting Law and Conflict of Interest Law
- Role of the Partnership
- Update on the Inclusionary Ordinance – Presentation, Discussion and Next Steps
- Potential list of upcoming meeting dates
Newton Upper Falls Historic District Commission: The Newton Upper Falls Historic District Commission will meet on Tuesday, March 26th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 211. The agenda includes the following:
- Request for a Certificate of Appropriateness to install windows and vents at 65 High Street
- Request for a Certificate of Appropriateness to amend a previously approved main entry, and to install light fixtures, wood fence, and metal door at 1238 Chestnut Street
- Request for a Certificate of Appropriateness (VIOLATION) – for installed front entry porch railing system at 254-256 Elliot Street
Staff Memo can be found here and Packet Documents can be found here.
Commission on Energy: The Commission on Energy will meet on Wednesday, March 27th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 211. The agenda will focus on the Dissemination and implementation plan for the Citizens Climate Action Plan.
Newton Free Library Board of Trustees: The Newton Free Library Board of Trustees will meet on Wednesday, March 27th at 9:00 a.m. in the Trustees Room at the Newton Free Library. The agenda includes the following:
- Approval of 2/27/2019 minutes
- Reports from the President, Treasurer, Library Director, Development, Friends, and Committees – Trustee/Friends coordination and Spring Fling planning
- Solar Panel Project update
- Renovation Plan update
- FY2019-2020 Budget
Zoning Board of Appeals: The Zoning Board of Appeals will hold a public hearing on Thursday, March 28th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber. The agenda will focus on a petition appealing the interpretation by the Commissioner of Inspectional Services addressing the appellant’s intent to construct a front porch at 24 Moreland Avenue.
Newton Historical Commission: The Newton Historical Commission will meet on Thursday, March 28th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 205. The agenda includes the following:
- Request to submit a CLG Eligibility Report to the Massachusetts Historic Commission and review a consultant’s report for 44 Mignon Road
- Request to submit a CLG Eligibility Report to the Massachusetts Historic Commission for 124 and 128 Highland Street
- Request to withdraw a Local Landmark Request for 46 Walnut Park
- Seven Demolition Requests
- 12 Cross Street
- 106 Charlesbank Road
- 13 and 17 Gardner Street
- 30 Thornton Street
- 17 Valley Spring Road
- 145 Pine Ridge Road
- 53 Countryside Road
- Project Review and approval of updates to 35 Webster Street
- Three Waiver Requests
- 19 Andrew Street
- 991-993 Washington Street
- 64 Dearborn Street
- Two Requests for Partial Demolition
- Request to add a second story at 189 Evelyn Road
- Request to add to rear of house and side of barn at 70 Walker Street
The Staff memo can be found here and the Packet Documents can be found here.
Please note: At the end of the Newton Historical Commission’s minutes, you will find demolition and partial demolition requests that have been administratively approved. The minutes from the January meeting have the following full and partial demolitions administratively approved:
- Two full demolitions:
- 36 Walsh Road
- 9 Kerr Path
- Four partial demolitions:
- 9 Gammons Road (PD)
- 74 Longfellow Road
- 105 Fairway Drive
- 370 Linwood Avenue
[back to top]