Mayor Warren listens to Gail Spector; gives himself a 28 percent raise

2012 April 18
by Greg Reibman

1. tom sheff permalink
    April 18, 2012 06:57 PM

This isn’t a raise. the past 6 years the Mayor was takiing less than his salary allows him, this is not a raise. Now that it’s been 6 years since his raise, he’s due another:).

2. Dan Fahey permalink
    April 18, 2012 07:17 PM

While I understand Tom’s point, from a budgetary standpoint, this is a raise. Please note I support the mayor having bumped up the salary for the job; it’s an important job and $97,500 was not sufficient for the function.

I give Setti credit for resisting the increase until he felt he could point to his considerable successes, even though I was urging him to take this action before now.

Greg, are you saying he heeded Gail’s advice, not mine? LOL

3. Julia Malakie permalink
    April 18, 2012 08:08 PM

Aaack. Grammar Maven is so distracted by your sentence structure she can’t think about the pay raise. How about “After editorializing for at least two consecutive years that Newton Mayor Setti Warren ought to give himself a raise, Gail Spector finally got through to him”?

Okay, that’s better. No, I don’t have any problem with him taking the pay raise that was authorized six years ago.

4. April 18, 2012 09:36 PM

@Julia: Yep. Thanks now rewritten per your suggestion. (If you missed the original, you’ll just have to use your imagination.)

@Tom: How can you not have had a raise in six years from a job you’ve only held for two years?

5. tom sheff permalink
    April 19, 2012 12:37 AM

Greg,
    Exactly. This isn’t a payraise, it’s pay that was originally due to him.

6. Gail Spector permalink
    April 19, 2012 04:34 PM

Yeah, he waits until I leave to listen to me. That way, he has the political cover to blame it on me (“Hey, the Newton TAB opined twice that I should take the raise. They told my predecessor that he should announce he wasn’t running for re-election
    after he tried to take the friggin’ raise…”), but he waited until I have no influence anymore. I see what he’s doing. Savvy political maneuvering on his part.

7. April 19, 2012 04:40 PM

No influence? But you’re a Village 14 blogger now! You think Sean, Jerry, Chuck, Julia and Kara are walking the streets of Newton thinking they have no influence?

What you have now is no deadline.

8. Gail Spector permalink
    April 19, 2012 04:50 PM

Oops. I forgot that I’m no longer on the west coast.

Let me amend that to:

…but he waited until I no longer have the incredibly talented Marc Marderosian at my disposal to help me make my points!

9. Hoss permalink
    April 19, 2012 04:59 PM

Wow, I knew editors influenced anything written — but cartooning as well?

10. Gail Spector permalink
    April 19, 2012 05:16 PM

I’m going back to the west coast. I’ve let my guard down way too much for Newton right now.
    :-)