A new use for C Tsars in Newtonville?

2012 March 8
by Greg Reibman

Jim Walker tweets that the for lease signs have been removed from former C Tsars  in Newtonville.  Anybody know what’s happening there?

1. March 8, 2012 07:23 PM

There had been reports that Tempo was going to open in the space but that apparently feel through. It would be great if someone else was going in there, even though that location seems rather star-crossed.

2. fignewtonville permalink
    March 8, 2012 08:34 PM

I saw that as well. I don’t think the location is star crossed, I just think the rent is too high.

3. Bill Renke permalink
    March 8, 2012 09:21 PM

I heard a “John Brewers Pub” restaurant.

4. Kim permalink
    March 8, 2012 10:43 PM

Some spots will never work as a restaurant.

5. Kara permalink
    March 8, 2012 11:32 PM

I also heard John Brewers.

6. fignewtonville permalink
    March 8, 2012 11:59 PM

Why not Kim? It has ample parking, great location. The rent might be too high, as I mentioned.

What would folks rather have there? A bank?

No need for the usual suspects to say BOLOCO… ;-)

7. March 9, 2012 08:06 AM

What’s up with Waltham restaurants and this spot in Newtonville? First Tempo, now John Brewer’s. What next? Back Pages Books (on Moody Street) expanding to the spot left by Newtonville Books …

8. George Thomas Oliveiro permalink
    March 9, 2012 09:00 AM

Put an arcade in Newtonville.

9. Andrew Greene permalink
    March 9, 2012 12:38 PM

Maybe they should turn it into a bike path?

10. March 9, 2012 01:15 PM

Jim Walker expands on this on Newton TAB Blog.

11. March 9, 2012 01:43 PM

Great team effort on this one! Thanks Village 14.

If they really have 50 craft beers available, I may be convinced to spend a few of my dining and drinking dollars over in your fine city.

12. March 9, 2012 04:37 PM

You know what would be a terrific addition to John Brewer’s? A Boloco INSIDE John Brewer’s. Sort of like the falafel guy inside Sandwich Works in Newton Center.

13. fignewtonville permalink
    March 9, 2012 11:23 PM

HA! I knew a boloco reference would draw out Emily…

14. March 10, 2012 06:40 AM

@Jim: Hey I’m down with a second branch of My Back Pages or More Than Words to fill Newtonville Books…. I’m also down with a John Brewers where C. Tsars used to be – which I don’t remember ever going to now that I think about it.

Actually, what would be fabulous in the Newtonville Books space would be the folks at Newton North using the More Than Words model to support an entrepreneurship program for NPS. Throw a small coffee bar/cafe for the culinary students and small consignment boutique section for kids in the graphics programs and suddenly our overlooked voke kids (who tend to be ignored by a lot of folks here) suddenly have a teaching venue that produces some interesting experience for resumes that supports the school community and the Newton community at large.

Just my .02 folks

15. March 10, 2012 07:00 AM

Darnit! Got scooped on this one. Well, glad to hear that we’re getting SOMETHING in that space :)

16. Chuck Tanowitz permalink
    March 10, 2012 09:31 AM

This is very interesting. John Brewer’s is one of our “go-to” restaurants and very close to our house. I’m interested to see how the new place develops.

17. mgwa permalink
    March 10, 2012 04:40 PM

Karlsie – that’s a great idea, if only the rent would be affordable. I agree that we don’t give enough attention to our vo-tech kids here.