Appears there was a carbon monoxide leak at Franklin school this morning- explanatory letter from Supt. Fleishman below:
October 9, 2015
Dear Newton Community,
As many of you are aware, we decided to close Franklin Elementary School early this morning. The decision was made because there was a release of carbon monoxide in the boiler room. It appears that the release was due to errors made by the heating contractors in the process of installing a new boiler. Two individuals who were in the building at the time were taken to the hospital, and are now stable. No children had yet arrived to school, and the staff that were present were evacuated.
While there are currently no other schools which have boilers under construction, every boiler in all Newton Public Schools will be inspected by the end of the day on Monday. In addition, all rooms at Franklin have been tested for carbon monoxide and have been deemed safe.
As always, the safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance. If any additional information becomes available, we will be sure to keep you updated.
Superintendent of Schools
Fingers crossed we don’t see more of this sort of thing.