Quick, get the satellite truck over to Newton, they’re getting all ‘wussy’ again!

2012 February 1
by Greg Reibman

Let the tisk-tisks begin. Nothing is sweeter in a Boston TV studio than another opportunity  to spend the morning newscast passing judgement on those liberty-hating loons in Newton.

Valentine’s Day sweets banned from Newton school: MyFoxBOSTON.com

Valentine’s Day sweets banned from Newton school: MyFoxBOSTON.com

1. February 1, 2012 07:14 PM

Even the Huffington Post felt this one was threatening enough to civilization to post something.

Meanwhile, gotta love that second segment where Emily Norton is presented as “this women who writes a blog about the schools being great.”

2. February 1, 2012 09:41 PM

Wait there’s more: Channel 7 ran out to get footage of an empty school building too.

3. Mike Striar permalink
    February 1, 2012 10:14 PM

Who made this outrageous decision to ban candy???

GIVE THAT PERSON A RAISE!!!

[And I thought Emily did an excellent job].

4. February 1, 2012 11:21 PM

Thanks Mike! I especially love the dissing of origami. Hello we have a lot of Japanese students at our school, so including that in the suggestions for alternative gifts for classmates on Valentine’s Day was a way to be inclusive & respectful of our student population.

I never watch local news, and after seeing how they treated this “story”, I’m amazed anyone watches it. How do these local newscasters sleep at night, with the garbage they are offering up to viewers?

5. Hoss permalink
    February 2, 2012 10:38 AM

No one in our classes in the 1960s gave candy — just those cards Mom got by the box at Woolworths. Is this a Newton thing, or a generational thing?

6. Ted Hess-Mahan permalink
    February 2, 2012 11:17 AM

When my kids went to Horace Mann, the school had the same policy. I remember that parents would still send in “treats” on their children’s birthdays, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, or for no particular reason at all. Aside from the fact that kids don’t need all those sweets, some of these treats contained nuts or nut oil, which for some kids would bring on severe allergic reactions even if trace amounts were involved.

I have to say, when I was in kindergarten (back before indoor plumbing), we only ever exchanged cards and the teacher gave out those little candy hearts that taste like chalk but have cute little sayings on them. You had to bring or make a card for everyone in the class and say something nice about that person (disclaimer, I went to a denominational kindergarten, where we had all sorts of rules about being nice to everyone). When I went to a public elementary school, we only ever had homemade cards, and if someone was “sweet” on you, you might get a candy heart or a (Hershey’s) kiss on Valentine’s Day. So it was a bit of a shock when we first started sending our kids to school in Newton and there were sweets, cupcakes and all manner of treats on a weekly basis.

With MCAS and all, including all of the educational requirements of the Ed Reform Act standards and frameworks, teachers have it hard enough finding time to cover all the material that has to be taught each year. At the risk of being an old fuddy duddy, I think that concentrating on school work and activities that support rather than detract or distract from what should be going on in the classroom is a good thing.

Besides which, Mr. David Tynes, the fabulous PhysEd teacher at HM, has always been all about good health and good eating habits and sportspersonship, in order to build the bodies, the minds and the character of his students. With all of the childhood obesity and diabetes that is still on the rise in this country, not to mention the nut and other food allergies I alluded to above, schools should not be encouraging kids to bring candy and other treats to school. I have no problem with this policy. And to hell with what FoxNews thinks.

7. February 2, 2012 07:58 PM

I LOVE newton’s no food policy. Beside the life saving reasons for my peanut allergic daughter- I love the fact that I don’t have to be the looser mom who forgot to buy the “right candies” or bake 26 cupcakes for birthdays. While I agree I still have fond clear memories of the industrial sized juice cans and those can opener punctures on either side of the top to pour all of us kids juice to go with cupcakes during birthday celebrations, I don’t feel my kids are missing out at all. They think the pencils they get from the principal are super special and I say that with complete sincerity!

Emily- great job- so sorry you had to be on Fox news though.

8. February 2, 2012 10:36 PM

There’s a pretty, um, interesting conversation about all this happening on the Great Newton Schools blog.