Want to Know What’s Hot in Food? Try Newtonville

2012 January 5
by Chuck Tanowitz

So, you know how there is always this “hot new thing” that the socially conscious people in Manhattan are all over? Well, according to the Village Voice, the hot and trend pastry, the one that is replacing cupcakes, is Canneles Bordelais.

Why do I bring this up? Well, it turns out that Eunice over at Bread and Chocolate discovered these tender little cakes in LA back in the early 90s, she introduced them to her Newton bakery in 2009.

So take that Manhattan, you want to know what’s trendy? Try Newton. We have Eunice and you don’t!

Oh, and for another connection? Eunice learned about these delicious delights from Nancy Silverton, who happens to be the aunt of Nik Krankl. Nik owned Taste (in Newtonville, across the street from Bread and Chocolate) until he sold it to George Howell Coffee Company. Now Nik is starting a single origin coffee bar, along with his aunt.

1. January 6, 2012 10:00 AM

There’s a Bread & Chocolate in Newton Highlands as well. Assume they sell them there too. Any one know for sure?

2. Chuck Tanowitz permalink
    January 6, 2012 12:34 PM

I can’t say for sure, but most likely. Newton Highlands is a much bigger shop.

3. fignewtonville permalink
    January 6, 2012 04:00 PM

but newtonville rocks! Anyone know what is going on in the former C’tsars space?

4. Hoss permalink
    January 6, 2012 06:58 PM

Sorry for posting here but I can’t find a way to send tips to the eds… For anyone like me are on the lookout for new spots to try for food and drink, I spotted a sign on Needham St today that says there’s a place called Jonathan’s Bar and Grill opening where Papa Ginos once was (the former Filene’s Basement area). It doesn’t appear from a Google search that this is a chain. Anyone got details?

5. January 7, 2012 12:26 PM

@fig: As reported by Village 14 last year, Tempo is moving into the C’tsars location.

6. January 7, 2012 12:29 PM

@Hoss: I saw that sign too. I think it may be this place but I’m not certain.

7. Chuck Tanowitz permalink
    January 9, 2012 08:45 AM

I saw something about the Jonathan’s Grill on Chowhound. I’ll have to find it.