Taste Closed for Renovations: Will Reopen as George Howell Coffee

2012 January 17
by Chuck Tanowitz

The folks at Taste have been talking about a renovation from the day that Nik sold the place. Various ideas have come and gone, but it looks like they’re all taking place now.

Taste Coffee House closed on Sunday and will re-open on February 1st with a new name: George Howell Coffee Company. A post on the coffee bar’s website calls this“our first cafe since The Coffee Connection.”

Anyone with questions is encouraged to email the manager, Brooks Firth Bard at brooks@terroircoffee.com. Brooks is a very nice person, by the way.

While regulars have heard about these changes for a while, the date came as a bit of a surprise. I host a regular Tuesday morning coffee at that place and we didn’t hear about it last week. I’m told a small sign went up on Thursday. For the record, this week we set up camp at Bread and Chocolate in Newton Highlands.

1. Hoss permalink
    January 18, 2012 08:32 AM

The mayor should change his beer tour into a coffee tour. Coffee shops are where the real wisdom is (and where real voters are). I suggest Barry’s Deli as a logical stop.

Chuck, I didn’t understand what you meant by a Tuesday coffee.

2. January 18, 2012 09:11 AM

I’m pretty sure Taste sold beer.

3. Chuck Tanowitz permalink
    January 18, 2012 09:43 AM

Greg, they used to sell beer. When George Howell Coffee bought the place they dropped the license.

Hoss: I host a regular meetup of PR folks (and others who like to come and chat) on Tuesday mornings at 8:30. It’s an eclectic crowd that can be everything from just me sitting there alone to 10 or 12 people talking about how technology impacts communications.

4. Hoss permalink
    January 18, 2012 10:09 AM

That’s ironic that you meet up to talk about technology and communications… there’s hope for social interactions after all. Anyway, keep up the food posts. (One place on my list is Pronti on Needham St — the on-line menu looks great)

5. Chuck Tanowitz permalink
    January 18, 2012 10:44 AM

Hoss, I’m a big believer in the idea that social networks are about actually being social. They augment, but do not replace, personal interactions.

6. fignewtonville permalink
    January 18, 2012 12:06 PM

I wonder if Taste is getting less business because of Rox Diner?

Anyone know what is happening in regarding the C’Tsar’s space across the street from Rox Diner?

7. Chuck Tanowitz permalink
    January 18, 2012 12:37 PM

I can’t speak with any authority, but I haven’t seen any discernable drop in traffic since Rox has opened. They cater to very different crowds. The talk at Taste, for a long while, has been about cutting back the food items, especially lunch, to focus more on the coffee. I don’t know for certain, but my guess is that we’ll see that. Probably a bigger focus on crepes and that sort of thing, but the elimination of omelets.

Just a guess, though.